When you don’t get enough sleep, it can have a serious impact on your health, productivity and general well-being. While the occasional sleepless night doesn’t usually lead to any permanent side effects, research suggests that chronic insomnia can have more serious consequences over time. But what if you’re so stressed, busy or just unable to fall asleep that you need some help getting rest?
Many people turn to drugs like Nyquil for temporary relief from sleepless nights. But is Nyquil safe to take if you want to fall asleep faster? In this article we’ll look at the potential benefits and risks of taking Nyquil before bedtime and whether its effective as a sleeping aid.
Table of Contents
What Is Nyquil?
Nyquil is a medication that is used to treat cough and cold symptoms, including stuffy nose, sinus pain and a scratchy, sore throat. It is a combination of antihistamines, decongestants and sleep aids, and is prescribed to adults and children over 12 years of age. If you have a cough and cold symptoms and are looking for a quick and easy way to help you fall asleep, then Nyquil may be a good option for you.
These medications may make you feel drowsy and relaxed, which is why they are often used to treat insomnia. Beyond just helping you fall asleep, they can also help you stay asleep by reducing the number of times you wake up during the night. They are not intended to be used for long-term sleep problems.
Never take Nyquil for more than 7 consecutive days, unless prescribed by a doctor.
How Does Nyquil Help You Fall Asleep?
Nyquil contains dextromethorphan hydrobromide and doxylamine succinate as its key active ingredients, and phenylephrine HCL as its active ingredient. These ingredients help relieve cold and cough symptoms, along with other symptoms that may disturb your sleep. While each of these ingredients may have specific purposes, they are all thought to help promote sleep by increasing the amount of sleep-inducing chemicals in the brain.
Specifically, dextromethorphan hydrobromide is a type of cough suppressant that is thought to help the body produce more serotonin, a neurotransmitter that may help you relax and fall asleep more easily. Doxylamine succinate is believed to help relax the muscles in your airways, making it easier to breathe, and may also help promote sleep.
Phenylephrine HCL is thought to help widen your blood vessels and increase blood flow to the eyes, making them less swollen and easier to ignore.
Is It Safe to Take Nyquil Before Bedtime?
Nyquil is generally considered to be safe to take before bedtime. However, there are a few potential side effects and risks that you should be aware of before you take it. For starters, most common side effects of Nyquil include drowsiness, dry mouth, nausea and a tingling or burning sensation in the hands and feet.
There are also a few potential long-term side effects that you should watch out for. These include weight gain, sleepwalking, breathing problems and a dependence on the medication. If you want to use Nyquil before bed, make sure to follow the directions given on the package.
You shouldn’t take more than 1 dose each day, and you shouldn’t take it for more than 7 days in a row.
Pros of Taking Nyquil to Fall Asleep
- Quick and easy to take when you are in a rush. There are no complicated contraptions or machines that you need to use. Furthermore, it is easy to store and transport.
- Cost-effective. If you have been to the doctor and have been prescribed a sleeping aid, then you may have to spend a lot of money. However, with Nyqu-il, you can purchase it at a very low cost.
- No side effects. Some of the drugs that you can take have negative side effects while others don’t but they may have side effects. However, with Nyquil, you won’t have to worry about any side effects because there aren’t any.
- You can still drive and work. Even though you are taking a drug, you can still go to work or drive your car.
- You can sleep with your partner.
Many people think that it will be difficult to sleep next to their partner when they are taking sleeping pills due to the side effects that they have. However, with Nyquil, you won’t have to worry about that.
Cons of Taking Nyquil Before Bedtime
- It is addictive. After taking it for awhile, you will start to crave it. Therefore, you need to wean yourself off it.
- It can cause dry mouth. This can lead to bad breath and unhealthy teeth and gums.
- It is not a long-term solution. You should not take it for more than 7 days.
- It is over the counter. Therefore, you don’t know what types of chemicals they put in it.
- You can’t drive after taking it. You have to have a designated driver or take a cab.
- You can’t use it if you have high blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure, you must avoid using it.
Final Words: Is It Worth Using?
Nyquil is an over the counter medication that can help you fall asleep quickly and easily. It comes in liquid form and can be drunk before bed. After taking it, you should feel its effects within 30 minutes. It is a good option if you just need help falling asleep for one or two nights.
However, if you struggle with chronic insomnia, it isn’t a good long-term solution. If you are looking for a long-term solution to your insomnia, we recommend trying natural sleep aids, like a yoga and meditation routine, a healthy diet, a good night’s rest, and a consistent sleep schedule.
They are more effective at curbing insomnia long-term, and they don’t have any negative side effects.
My husband is sensitive to pseudo ephedrine. It makes him have symptoms like nervousness , and insomnia with hallucinations. I know pm NyQuil has this ingredient. Is the amount large enough that he should not be taking it even when he has a bad cold? The cold is keeping him up all night as well . Your advice will be greatly appreciated.