Both phentermine and vyvanse are prescription medications that have been shown to assist in weight loss.
Each drug has its own unique benefits, but there are also some drawbacks to each drug. If you’re trying to decide which is better for weight loss; whether phentermine or vyvanse is right for you, the following article will help you make that decision.
Table of Contents
What is Phentermine?
Phentermine is a prescription medication used for the treatment of obesity. It has been around for about 60 years and has been approved for obesity treatment by the FDA since 1959.
Phentermine is part of the sympathomimetic amine class of drugs, or simply known as an “appetite suppressant”. It is prescribed as a short-term solution to help people lose weight quickly, as it is not designed for long-term use.
There are many side effects of using phentermine for weight loss that has made it one of the less popular weight loss drugs available.
Phentermine helps to suppress your appetite, which allows you to consume less food each day. It also helps to increase your metabolism, which allows your body to burn more calories each day.
How does Phentermine Help with Weight Loss?
Phentermine is a prescription medication that has been shown to help with weight loss by suppressing your appetite and increasing your metabolism. It has been proven to be effective in assisting people with losing weight quickly.
Phentermine works by blocking catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT), which is an enzyme that breaks down dopamine and norepinephrine. Phentermine temporarily stops the COMT enzyme from breaking down these neurotransmitters, which are responsible for hunger and mood regulation.
This causes the brain to release more dopamine, which makes you feel less hungry and less motivated to eat.
Phentermine also makes your body release more norepinephrine, which causes your liver to release more glucose, increases metabolism, and increases the breakdown of fat in the liver.
All of these factors help your body to burn more calories each day.
Vyvanse for Weight Loss?
Vyvanse is an FDA-approved medication that also assists with weight loss; however, it works in a completely different way than phentermine.
Vyvanse is a stimulant drug, which means it increases your energy levels, helps you focus better, and some people find that it makes them less hungry.
Vyvanse is a long-term solution for weight loss and is not meant for short-term use.
The way Vyvanse works to help with weight loss is by increasing your metabolism and making you feel less hungry.
Vyvanse increases levels of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain, which helps you to stay focused, reduces cravings, and makes you less hungry. Vyvanse also increases your metabolism.
Vyvanse causes your body to release more norepinephrine, which speeds up your metabolism and makes you burn calories faster.
Pros of Using Phentermine for Weight Loss
- Phentermine is effective for short-term weight loss. You may lose between 5-15 pounds in 2-3 months using phentermine.
- Phentermine is available in both short- and long-term formulations.
- You do not need to change your diet, exercise routine, or eat less food when using phentermine, as it suppresses your appetite.
- You do not need to change your diet or exercise routine when using Vyvanse for weight loss.
- Taking phentermine is cheap. It will cost you between $10-30 per month.
Cons of Using Phentermine for Weight Loss
- Phentermine is not a long-term solution to weight loss.
- Phentermine may be habit forming and addictive.
- Phentermine can cause a wide range of side effects, including dizziness, dry mouth, insomnia, headache, hypertension, and increased heart rate.
- Phentermine may cause you to experience intense cravings for sweets and carbs.
- You cannot use phentermine if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, have had a heart attack, or are taking certain medications.
Pros of Vyvanse for Weight Loss
- Vyvanse has been shown to help with weight loss in a number of studies.
- Vyvanse is an effective long-term solution for weight loss. You can take it for up to a year or longer.
- Vyvanse does not cause intense cravings for sweets, like phentermine does.
- Vyvanse does not cause you to gain water weight, like phentermine does.
- Vyvanse does not cause you to experience dry mouth, insomnia, and other side effects caused by phentermine.
- Vyvanse is a long-term solution, which means that you do not have to worry about it being habit forming or addictive.
Cons of Vyvanse for Weight Loss
- Vyvanse is a long-term solution for weight loss, which means that it does come with a higher price tag.
- Vyvanse does not cause you to lose weight quickly like phentermine does.
- Vyvanse requires more time to work and requires a healthy diet and regular exercise as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Vyvanse may cause decreased appetite and make it difficult to consume enough calories.
- Vyvanse may cause side effects such as decreased sex drive, dry mouth, restlessness, and trouble sleeping.
Final words – Which is better, Phentermine or Vyvanse?
Both phentermine and vyvanse are prescription medications that are meant to help with weight loss.
Both work by increasing your metabolism and suppressing your appetite, which allows your body to burn more calories and lose weight.
While phentermine is effective for short-term weight loss, vyvanse is long-term, lasting up to one year or more.
Vyvanse may be more expensive than phentermine, but it is a better long-term solution for weight loss.