You may know that salt, also known as sodium chloride, has numerous health benefits. However, many people are unaware that there are various different types of salt.
In addition to sodium and chloride, salt is also made up of other minerals like potassium.
This article will discuss the benefits of potassium bromide, how it can be used to your advantage and where you can find it in your diet if you are looking to increase your intake.
Table of Contents
What is Potassium Bromide?
Potassium bromide is an anticonvulsant medication that works in the brain to prevent seizures. It is also sometimes used to treat other mental health disorders such as anxiety, insomnia, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Unlike some other anticonvulsants such as phenobarbital, it does not have much sedative effect, so it is not widely used for insomnia.
Potassium bromide is a potassium salt of bromide. It is widely used as an anticonvulsant drug and has also been used for various other mental health disorders. Potassium bromide is used as an anticonvulsant in people with epilepsy, as well as people with other neurological disorders. It is also sometimes used as a mood stabilizer for people with bipolar disorder.
How Does It Benefit The Body?
- Treats epilepsy – When taking this medication, the patient will find that their risk of having a seizure is lower than the average person. Exactly how the drug works is not known.
- Helps people with bipolar disorder to maintain a steady mood – A mood stabilizer is a drug that is used to treat mood disorders. These are typically disorders where someone swings from one extreme mood to another. One example of this is bipolar disorder, where someone has extreme highs (mania) and lows (depression).
- Hel-ps people with anxiety disorders – Certain types of anxiety can be treated with medications. Anti-anxiety medications are particularly helpful when someone is having a panic attack or feels very anxious.
- Helps people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder – These days, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can be treated with a combination of behaviour therapy and medications.
- Helps to prevent loss of bone density – Many people take calcium supplements to prevent osteoporosis and help prevent fractures, but it can be challenging to get the right amount. Medications such as calcium supplements or a combination of calcium supplements and potassium bromide may be worth considering if you are at high risk of developing osteoporosis.
Benefits of Potassium Bromide for the Brain
- Helps treat epilepsy – Potassium bromide is one of the first-line treatments for people with epilepsy who do not respond to other medications. It is also used in people who are at high risk of epilepsy following a brain injury.
- Helps people with bipolar disorder – People with bipolar disorder who take potassium bromide as part of their medication reduce their risk of a manic episode by about one-third.
- Helps people with anxiety disorders – Taking potassium bromide can reduce feelings of anxiety and improve social functioning in people with certain types of anxiety.
- Helps people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder – Taking potassium bromide can help improve attention and reduce impulsivity in people with ADHD.
Other Benefits of Potassium Bromide
- Potassium bromide may also help with other mental illnesses – It may also be useful for people who have schizophrenia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and depressive disorder. This is not clear though, and more studies are needed to find out for sure.
- Potassium bromide is safe – As with all medications, there are possible side effects to consider. However, potassium bromide is considered to be safe when taken in the recommended doses.
- Potassium bromide can be taken with other medications – Potassium bromide is generally well-tolerated, and it can be taken with other medications.
Where You Can Find Potassium Bromide in Your Diet
As well as being used in medication, potassium bromide is also found naturally in a few different food sources. Potatoes, broccoli, tomatoes, and citrus fruits are high in potassium bromide.
Since potassium bromide is commonly taken as a medication, the best way to get it in your diet is to consume these food sources. These foods also have other nutrients and vitamins that are beneficial to your health.
How to Get More Potassium Bromide in Your Diet
If you would like to get more potassium bromide in your diet but you are taking medication, you should always speak with your doctor first. Potatoes are a good source of potassium bromide, and they can be eaten along with other vegetables and meats. Potatoes can be eaten boiled, baked, roasted, mashed, or fried.
If you want to eat more broccoli, it can be eaten as a soup, salad, or with other vegetables. Tomatoes can be eaten with cheese, as a salad, or turned into a sauce. Citrus fruits, such as oranges and lemons, can be eaten raw or juiced.
Potassium bromide is a useful drug that can benefit people with certain mental health issues. It can also be found in some foods, and can be taken with other medications. It can be useful to increase your intake of potassium bromide if you are at high risk of developing osteoporosis.