When you have high blood pressure, your doctor may prescribe you with lisinopril to help reduce the strain on your heart and avoid potential complications.
However, not everyone can take this medication without risking side effects or developing an allergy. Is it possible to buy lisinopril over the counter? Keep reading to learn more about this medication, where you can buy it, and if there are any alternatives.
What is Lisinopril?
Lisinopril is a medication that can be used to treat high blood pressure, heart failure, and certain types of kidney disease. It is also sometimes prescribed after a heart attack to reduce the risk of further complications.
Lisinopril is a type of drug known as an ACE inhibitor. It works by blocking an enzyme called ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme). This enzyme is naturally produced in the body and is responsible for regulating blood pressure. When blood pressure is too high, ACE works to bring it down.
Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor because it blocks the enzyme and keeps it from working. This helps to lower blood pressure by reducing the amount of stress placed on the heart and blood vessels.
Why is Lisinopril Prescribed?
Lisinopril is often prescribed as a first-line treatment for high blood pressure. If a doctor believes the problem is caused by too much stress on the heart, lisinopril can be very helpful. It helps to reduce the strain on the heart by decreasing blood pressure.
Lisinopril is also prescribed for people who have experienced a heart attack and are at risk of another. It can help to reduce the strain on the heart by decreasing the blood pressure and thickening the blood to prevent a reoccurrence.
Lisinopril is also prescribed for people who have kidney disease. Kidney disease can cause high blood pressure and lead to heart disease. By blocking ACE from working, lisinopril can prevent the disease from worsening and increase the risk of complications.
Where Can You Buy Lisinopril Over the Counter?
You may be wondering if you can buy lisinopril over the counter, because you may not be able to get a prescription. Unfortunately, lisinopril is one of the very few drugs that is only available with a prescription.
You can purchase lisinopril from your local pharmacy or from an online pharmacy. However, the cost can vary widely depending on your insurance and the pharmacy you choose.
Prices can vary from $40 to $150 per month, but high blood pressure is a serious condition and it is worth taking care of it.
Are There Any Alternatives to Lisinopril?
If you are allergic to lisinopril or are worried that you might become allergic to it, you may want to look for an alternative. ACE inhibitors are very common treatments used to manage high blood pressure.
There are many different ACE inhibitors available, so it is highly likely that your doctor will prescribe one of these instead.
These drugs are similar to lisinopril, but they can help to avoid an allergy reaction. Some of these include:
- Enalapril: This drug is similar to lisinopril and may be prescribed instead. However, it is usually less effective at treating high blood pressure.
- Ramipril: This is another common alternative to lisinopril that can be used to treat high blood pressure and heart disease.
- Fosinopril: This drug is used to treat high blood pressure and can be prescribed instead of lisinopril. It is also used for people with kidney disease.
- Moexipril: This drug is used to treat high blood pressure and can be prescribed instead of lisinopril.
Side Effects of Lisinopril
Not everyone can take lisinopril without side effects. Side effects can vary widely and depend on the person taking the medication.
Some common side effects of lisinopril include:
- Headaches: This is a common side effect of many medications, including ACE inhibitors.
- Dizziness: This can happen when blood pressure is too low.
- Blurred Vision: Blood pressure can be too low, causing vision issues.
- Coughing: This is a sign of a reaction to the medication.
- Shortness of Breath: Blood pressure is too low.
- Swelling: Blood pressure is too low.
- Stomach Pain: This is a sign of an ulcer or another stomach condition.
- Dry Mouth: This is a sign of low blood pressure.
- Diarrhea: This is a sign of a reaction to the medication.
- Difficulty Urinating: This can be a sign of kidney disease.
- Rash: This is a sign of an allergic reaction.
- Weight Loss: This can be a sign of a serious side effect.
Lisinopril is a prescription medication used to treat high blood pressure. It can also be prescribed after a heart attack to reduce the risk of future complications.
Not everyone can take this medication without side effects, especially if they are allergic to it. There are many different ACE inhibitors that can be prescribed as an alternative.