Arthritis is a condition that causes joint pain and stiffness. It is a kind of chronic inflammation affecting the joints. The three common types of arthritis are gout, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Each of these has its own set of symptoms. Arthritis can also be classified as primary or secondary depending on its root cause.
Over the counter medications such as arnica, alendula, devil’s claw, and capsaicin can help in treating arthritis by reducing inflammation and easing pain. Read on to know more about arnica, alrex over the counter
Aloe vera is a plant that has been used for its medicinal properties for centuries. It contains many vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, and antioxidants that can help in treating various health conditions.
It has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that make it very effective in treating arthritis. It also has anti-swelling and anti-bacterial properties that make it good for treating joint pain.
How to use- Aloe vera is available in gel form. You can apply aloe vera gel on the affected areas of the joints directly or mix it with coconut oil to ease the pain further. You can also consume aloe vera in the form of a juice or a supplement.
Precautions- People with allergies to aloe vera or its extracts should avoid using it.
Devil’s claw is a herb that is native to South Africa. It has been used traditionally in African and South American folk medicine to relieve pain, especially joint pain. It contains a chemical called harpagoside which is a potent anti-inflammatory agent. It also has properties that help in treating swelling and stiffness in the joints.
Devil’s claw has been found to be just as effective as ibuprofen in treating arthritis. It is also associated with few side effects. Devil’s claw can be used for treating arthritis as well as other inflammatory conditions including headaches, back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, and gout.
- How to use- You can make a tea or an extract from devil’s claw and use as a topical ointment on the affected area. You can also consume devil’s claw as a supplement.
- Precautions- People who are allergic to devil’s claw or its extracts should avoid using it.
Baking soda has been used for centuries to treat a variety of health conditions including arthritis. It is rich in minerals and trace elements such as sodium, potassium, and magnesium that help in reducing inflammation. It also has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that make it a great home remedy for treating arthritis.
Baking soda also has anti-oxidant properties that can help in preventing arthritis from occurring in the first place. It is one of the best home remedies for arthritis.
- How to use- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of warm water and drink it twice a day to treat arthritis. You can also apply it on the affected joints to relieve pain and inflammation.
- Precautions- Avoid using baking soda if you have a kidney or liver condition.
Arnica montana is a flowering plant that has been used since ancient times in folk medicine to heal bruises, sprains, and joint pain. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-swelling properties that make it very effective in treating arthritis. It is also a good analgesic that helps in easing pain.
Arnica montana is often used as a home remedy for treating muscular pain and joint pain caused by sports injuries and arthritis. It is also used as a homeopathic remedy.
- How to use- You can make a topical ointment from the dried flowers of arnica montana and apply it on the affected joints to relieve pain. You can also make a tea from the leaves of arnica montana and take it to treat arthritis.
- Precautions- People with allergies to arnica montana or its extracts should avoid using it.
Capsaicin is a chemical found in chili peppers. It is used in many over the counter arthritis pain relief products. It works by depleting the level of substance P, a neuropeptide associated with pain. It is therefore highly effective in treating arthritis as well as other types of joint and muscle pain.
Capsaicin is available in many forms such as ointments, creams, gels, sprays, and patches. It comes with many added benefits such as weight loss and increased metabolism. It can also be used as a home remedy to treat arthritis.
- How to use- Capsaicin is available in topical ointments that can be applied on the skin. You can also mix a few drops of capsaicin in a cup of water and drink it to ease pain.
- Precautions- People with sensitive skin should use capsaicin with caution. Avoid using capsaicin if you are allergic to it.
Arthritis is a condition that causes joint pain and stiffness. It is a kind of chronic inflammation affecting the joints. The three common types of arthritis are gout, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Each of these has its own set of symptoms. Over the counter medications such as arnica, alendula, devil’s claw, and capsaicin can help in treating arthritis by reducing inflammation and easing pain.
These herbs can be used to help reduce inflammation and treat pain. They can be used as an alternative to over the counter pain medications prescribed for arthritis such as NSAIDs.