Can You Overdose on Naltrexone?2 min read

Naltrexone is a medication commonly used in the treatment of alcohol and opioid addiction. It belongs to a class of drugs known as opioid antagonists, which work by blocking the effects of opioids in the brain.

While naltrexone can be an effective tool in addiction treatment, it is essential to use this medication responsibly and follow the prescribed dosage. Like any medication, there is a potential for adverse effects, including the risk of overdose.

Understanding Naltrexone Overdose

An overdose occurs when an individual takes a higher dose of a medication than what is recommended or when the body cannot metabolize the drug properly. In the case of naltrexone, an overdose is possible, although it is relatively rare.

The typical therapeutic dosage of naltrexone for addiction treatment is 50 milligrams per day. When used as prescribed, naltrexone has a good safety profile. However, exceeding the recommended dosage or combining it with other substances can increase the risk of an overdose.

Symptoms of Naltrexone Overdose

The symptoms of a naltrexone overdose can vary depending on the individual and the amount of the drug ingested. Some common signs and symptoms to be aware of include:

  • Confusion
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Rapid heartbeat
  • Blurred vision

If you suspect a naltrexone overdose or notice any of these symptoms, it is crucial to seek immediate medical attention. Prompt medical intervention can help prevent complications and provide appropriate treatment.

Preventing Naltrexone Overdose

To minimize the risk of a naltrexone overdose, it is essential to follow the prescribed dosage and instructions provided by your healthcare provider. Additionally, inform your doctor about any other medications or substances you are taking, as certain combinations can increase the likelihood of an overdose.

If you have missed a dose of naltrexone, do not attempt to double the dose to catch up. Instead, continue with the regular dosing schedule and consult your doctor if you have any concerns.


Naltrexone is a valuable medication in the treatment of addiction, but it is crucial to use it responsibly to avoid the risk of overdose. Adhering to the prescribed dosage and discussing any concerns or potential interactions with your healthcare provider is vital for your safety and well-being.

Remember, if you suspect a naltrexone overdose or experience any concerning symptoms, seek immediate medical assistance.